In the continuing adventures with JH (sans the plumber's crack) and his magic bag of tools, we managed to yank out the garbage disposal and put in a new pipe. Or rather, JH yanked out the disposal, and I stood next to him and handed him tools and offered moral support. Hey, don't discount the importance of support. As Winston Churchill said, "Men can move mountains with words." As long as the mountains are made of words, of course.
Either way, to complete the project, we needed to remove the disposal to figure out what sort of drain would fit in. Measurements had to be taken, and the proper fittings purchased. In retrospect, it took a fair amount of measuring, planning, and note taking in order to maximize efficiency, for which JH is the model of. I would have not only screwed things up on my own, but would have had to have made at least 3 trips back and forth to the hardware store.
Removing the disposal was a bit unpleasant, that thing is disgusting. Plus, the hose that attaches it to the drain was filled with all sorts of fun stuff. Once it was out, JH figured out what sort of drain we'd need to replace it, as well as the pipe fitting to connect the new drain to the existing drain. He even wrote things down, which is something I never do and suffer because of it.
We headed over to Aubuchon, and I have to confess, I was impressed with how much the woman new about plumbing. She answered all of JH's questions, and new exactly what we needed. I realize it's a bit sexist of me to assume she might not know so much, but maybe I was just jealous that the depth of her knowledge was superior to mine. Ouch!
We came back and had lunch, then JH strapped on his body armor and prepared for the battle. We had to cut the pipe a little, but for the most part, it fit perfectly, and we even had the proper pitch. I'm learning a lot about pitch with the whole septic system debacle.
JH tightened the pipes, and we ran some hot water and finished tightening the connections. No leaks thus far.
Now we have a nice clean underside of the sink. R was happy, and now we have one less worry for our septic system, at least on our house. The barn is another issue, but more on that later.
Until then, thanks for reading.