Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Firewood Update

We are marching along steadily with the firewood, and may even have next years wood stacked and ready before the first snow. Of course, having said that, I now won't get it done until next year, but that's what happens when you get too cocky, especially when it is unwarranted.

Either way, I would say that we are about half done. It is amazing to me how much wood actually goes into a wood pile. It seems like I split cord after cord, but once it gets stacked, it doesn't look like that much. Then it's back to the chopping block.

We have a good system going. The kids help out, though N is more enthusiastic. He really loves to stack wood. I get a good pile going of split wood, and then the two of us start to stack it. It's actually a lot of fun working with the kids, they're really cute when they want to help out, and it really does make a difference.

I would love to finish this pile in the next week or two so I'll have one less thing to have to think about. Then again, I still have 7 cords of uncut wood waiting for me, so never mind.

Also, I am thinking that we're going to crack into next year's wood before this year is up. This always happens, my planning always seems to fall a little short, but I guess I'm still learning, and it's going to take some time. I tried to increase the length and height of the pile, but we've already used about 20% of this year's wood, and we have not gone through 20% of Winter. Oh well, live and learn.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: