Sunday, October 3, 2010

Small Steps with Firewood

Okay, we're about 25% done with next year's wood, and I'm still kicking myself that it's taking so long. Not only do I need to get that pile stacked and covered, but I also need to cut and split more, more, more...

The situation is delayed by the fact that in order to move the pile, I have to haul it with a wheelbarrow, which was out of commission for a couple of weeks until my father-in-law enlightened me as the best solution to the situation. Now that we're back in business, the work can resume.

N enjoys helping me and I love having out there, but sometimes it adds a new dimension to the process. I don't want to discourage him, because he is so earnest and sincere in his desire to help out, and he is definitely getting stronger lifting those pieces of wood, some of which are kind of heavy. I even started the wood pile in a way that makes it easy for him to simply continue stacking the wood in a continuous line. In other words, all we have to do is bring the wood to one end and extend the pile.

Being an optimist, I think we'll have this done before the first snow. Once its stacked, I will continue to cut and split into Winter. That will the wood even more time to dry. My goal is to get really dry wood that burns like... wood, I guess. I've yet to have firewood that doesn't sizzle a bit when it burns, but I know I'll get there one day.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: