Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Disposal Drama

We are having some issues with our disposal, and I'm not sure if we should replace it or just ignore it. When I say ignore it, I mean not do anything about it and simply not use it.

I've been told by many people in the know that garbage disposals are a big no-no when you have a septic system. This was told to me when our friend KB installed a new faucet, he said not to use the disposal, and that his friend who installs septic systems said that people shouldn't use them.

Good enough for me. We have one, and only use it when bits of food scraps fall into it. Recently, however, it has been making funny noises. The problem is that our dishwasher is connected to it, which I believe is standard protocol. We rarely use our dishwasher but employ it more as a dish strainer. This, however, leads to unsightly pools of water at the bottom, so we have to run it regularly to clean it out. Personally I think dishwashers are a bit of a sham, but that's just me.

Anyway, when I ran the dishwasher the other day, the disposal started to flood. It was disconcerting, to say the least. Now I'm left wondering if we should replace the thing, or just get rid of it. R is in favor of the latter, she never uses it, and it's pretty disgusting down there.

We may just get rid of it and simplify things. Then again, trying to simplify things only seems to complicate them even more. You just can't win.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.
we need a new disposal

No comments: