Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Moving the Woodpile

Chipping away at the stone, as the saying goes. That's what I've been doing with that darn wood pile. I'm talking about the blocks that are cut but have not yet been split. Because our wood pile is about 500 feet from the splitting area, the blocks need to be moved, and since I don't have a tractor, it requires hauling them with a wheelbarrow. Due to the presence of a small hill, it can be quite a workout, but I prefer it. This way I won't get fat sitting behind a tractor.

I've managed to move about 5 cords of wood so far, and there is about 1 1/2 left, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. If I can get the pile moved by the end of this month, I can start cutting the new pile and then move that before the first snow. Time is running out, however.

As for the stacking, progress is being made on that front, as well. We've managed to get it about 35% complete. This is the one area where the kids like to help, so it's one of those win-win situations, the kind that parents live for.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to Piotr Ciuchta for the pic.

No comments: