Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Great Karate Class

We had a great karate class last week, if not for the simple fact that A decided to join, and she jumped right in. I got the dreaded call around 4:00PM from sensei CH that he couldn't make it, and I could fill in. Those are might big shoes to fill. He said Master H would be there, which is always a bonus because he's an amazing teacher.

Class was not too big, with the usual faithful suspects showing up. A&N were bummed because PC couldn't make it due to illness, but PC was there. Also, the new girl TD was present, and she and A seem to be hitting if off fairly well. My first impulse, of course, is to jump in and do whatever it takes to encourage the friendship, but I'll just keep my distance and watch things unfold.

Now A and I had a chance to go over some basic exercises over the past few weeks, and she has really caught on. She knows the structure but just needs to work on getting the form down. She said she enjoys it, and I'm thrilled to have her in the class. Now if only N will join in, life will be even better, but no pressure.

We went over katas and basics in preparation for testing that will occur at the end of the month. Since sensei CH was not there, I had to lead in warm-up exercises and go over katas with some of the students. We didn't have to spar, which is something A will have to get used to, but I can help her prepare.

We'll see how this one goes. I'd like for A to be able to defend herself while learning discipline and focus, but we'll let it unfold naturally. For now, she enjoys it, so I'll take it. I'll have to work on getting her a gi and some pads.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ove Tøpfer for the pic.

No comments: