Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fall Lawncare

I'm a little late on this one, but I've started to prepare the lawn for Winter by grooming the soil and preparing it for planting. They say mid-September is about the right time, but mid-October will have to suffice. I first cut the grass short because I was told to do this by someone, but I've forgotten who. This helps to expose the soil, making fertilizing and seeding more effective.

I have leftover fertilizer that I spread over the front and back lawns. The back lawn is a mess, though the front doesn't look half bad. The fertilizer is this organic stuff I got at Longacres and whatever it is made it, it sure stinks. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, but when you spread it, the dust gets all over you, and consequently, you stink, as well. Not horribly bad, it just has this organic sour smell. Makes you feel like a farmer. We use the organic stuff because we don't want toxic chemicals to foul up our groundwater.

The ideal situation would be to fertilize then seed, and hope for rain. I seeded the lawn a couple of days later because the forecast called for rain, and it never came. I ended up just feeding the birds with all those seeds, which is a double-whammy of bad vibes because as the birds come to feed, our cats go on the rampage.

I only managed to get the front done in terms of mowing, but I'll work on the back later, hopefully on a sunny day right before a rain.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to kalyana sundaram for the pic.

No comments: