Thursday, October 21, 2010

Full Frontal

The front of the house is coming along, and if we can decide on a color, we can work towards getting the front step done, though it's looking highly unlikely for this year. We'll be optimistic.

I managed to get a small fascia piece in to cover up that gap. Before I got it in, I stuffed some fiberglass insulation up there, so hopefully it will be somewhat protected from the cold. My final act up there will be to fill the gaps with caulking, then paint it over to hide the poor job I did of ripping that piece of wood.

I also finally cut out some rigid foam pieces to fit into the gaps on the inside. Since I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to putting in insulation and covering with drywall, I wanted to get some insulation in before it gets too cold. I figure every little bit counts. I was ready to caulk the seams when I realized that I have to glue the stuff on. After that, I'll fill in the gaps with expanding foam, and I think we're in pretty good shape.

Except, of course, for that front door. There is still the issue of fixing the gap in the weather stripping. My brother in law PR said the right way would be to remove the stripping, push it in, and create a better seal. Of course, I'm always looking for an easier way out. JH had the brilliant notion of moving the door plate, but in retrospect, I don't think that will solve the problem on the hinge side of the door.

It looks like I may have to break out my tools and get my hands dirty. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: