Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hazardous Waste

How's this for bad timing? We were having some problems with securing our cottage in the Great White North. Since they don't use US dollars in Canada (the nerve), R had to go through this whole rigmarole to send the deposit, which never arrived. With time running out, we were on the verge of having to go to Montreal first to pay this person, which meant that we'd have to leave earlier.

Normally I would have welcomed an extra day to spend in Montreal, but I had to take care of the hazardous waste, which only happens twice a year. I have a box full of sterno cans, some old gasoline from various yard endeavors, and some old cans of oil based stain.

I've been told by the guys at Joe's that because gas now has ethanol, you don't want it sitting around too long before you use it. They said 30 days, which seems extreme, but I try to take their advice to heart.

With that in mind, I have a couple of gas cans that need disposal. I could just hold onto them for another 6 months, but I'd prefer to get rid of them and move on with my life.

I was planning on doing it before we left, but if we leave on Friday, no can do. We'll see what happens. Some people told me to just pour the gas on the ground and light it, but I don't think I'll go there.

Until the next time, thanks for reading

No comments: