Friday, September 10, 2010

More Good Friends

We had one or two trees that had been cut down behind the barn, and our neighbor, who happens to be a logger, said he'd take them and mill them into boards. That was a year ago, and he never came to get them. I even called him and he never got back to me. Bummer.

Luckily, the husband of the local market manager is one of the typical Vermont men who can do any and all things involving tools. Not only does this guy have his own mill, which he built, but he's got a backhoe and a truck. He came over (when he said he would), checked out the logs, and said he'd be happy to come over, drag them out, and mill them into wood. His name is CI.

The guy knows everything there is to know about trees and plants, and he gave me a lesson in grafting and growing fruit trees, which we'd like to do. He also offered to help me cut down some pines and clear some space for hardwood trees (maples, oaks, and ash) to grow, which I'd like

I also asked him to mill the maple into 2X12 boards, which I'd like to use for the front door step of our house, as well as for countertops on the new barn, and maybe a table or island top. We'll see. It would be even cooler since the wood was cut from the property. For whatever reason I kind of like that idea.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to John Nyberg for the pic.

No comments: