Thursday, September 16, 2010

Serendipitous Window and Mirror Issues

Of course I can't do a job around here without some level of drama, even though that is never my goal. Everything seems so logical and straightforward, and then when I try to pull it off, complications ensue, and ones that I can never foresee.

First off, I couldn't get the new pane of glass installed because it was going to take too long. The guy on the phone said it would be no problem, there were guys on duty and if I just brought it in, they would be able to finish it in about half an hour. When I got there, the guy was busy and said it would take about 3-4 hours! They were swamped and only one guy was on duty.

I was bummed. This wasn't what I was told. I said to just give me the window and I'd find someone to help me install it. (Boy, I sure showed them) What makes it all difficult is that I have to remove the window, which is about 3X2 feet), bring it to the store, have them replace it, and then take it home. Now I was going to have to carry the old window, new pane of glass, and a mirror home, then install the old window back in until they had time to fix it. The reason for is because it is getting cold outside and we can't have this big opening in the wall.

Then, when they were ready, I'd have to remove the window again, take it and the new glass in, and have them install it. What a pain... no pun intended.

The original goal was to have the new window in when my in-laws visited so that they would be blown away by the nice clear view, but that wasn't going to happen. This turned out to be fortuitous, however, because after my brother in-law PR took a look at it, he said it would be easy to replace, and that we/I could do it myself, no problem. That is, of course, if you were Bob Vila, or JH and his magic bag of tools. Truth be told, I do think I can do it, and think it was serendipitous that it didn't work out with Portland Glass, because now I can tackle it myself, thus adding to my real-man status.

There was also some issue with the mirror, and I'm not quite sure how to handle it. I went in wanting a simple cut piece of glass, and the guy ordered a nicer beveled piece. I didn't initially want beveled glass, but figured why not? It was a bit more expensive, and he had to special order it rather than simply cut it in the store. I should have just said, "No, I don't want beveled glass," but I just stood there like an idiot.

When the mirror came in, if you can believe this, it wasn't beveled. The question now became, am I being charged for beveled glass? If not, why did I have to pay more for a special order when they could have simply cut it there, saving me $10-15?

Again, I'm not quite sure how much of a stink I should make. I'm assuming the glass really cost the amount I paid, the question is, could I have paid less? I'm assuming the guy who ordered the glass made a mistake and forgot to order the bevel, which is not a huge deal because I didn't want it in the first place, but then why do I have to pay more for his mistake?

I'll have to brew on this one. On the one hand, I feel I should just drop it, but on the other, I'm sort of being penalized for something I didn't do.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: