Okay, I'd say we're about 75% done with the front step. What is really cool is that N likes to help me out and work with me, though help is subject to interpretation. Whatever be the case, he is interested and loves working with his hands. It's really cute watching him work, too. He's so earnest and sincere, and tries so hard to do a good job. You have to love that.
We set about shimming with cedar shims. The pitch was just right, not too much, not too little, and though we could have accentuated the incline and ensured complete flow of any moisture, I think it would have looked a little funny.
N helped me secure the shims. We tried nails at first, but they wouldn't penetrate the cement board. Funny how that works. What we did instead was staple the shims in, then place the plywood over them and drive screws through the plywood and shims. Like my Mentor is always saying, never drive a screw/nail through an open gap.
It didn't take long, we managed to cover the entire step with the plywood, and now we are ready to waterproof. We have two days before we leave, so time is running out, and it's supposed to be rainy next week. Funny how moisture becomes your nemesis when you're building a house.
Until the next time, thanks for reading.