Thursday, June 2, 2011

More Blueberries

We are all set to create our own blueberry orchard. The only question is, where to put it? They need a fair amount of sun, and we are surrounded by huge pines and hemlocks. Some people say we should thin them out and cut some of them down, but the fact that we are nestled in the woods makes the house a lot cooler in the Summer time, and I don’t want to lose that.

We had purchased four plants from JM, but I ended up getting two that were redundant because of a mis-communication. I figured it was fine, I just needed more of the other variety, Bluecrop I believe they are called. There is a whole science to growing that is way over my head.

I wanted a couple more plants, so I went to the source, CS. She is one of many amazing growers in town, and has plants for sale. We got two more 3 year-old Bluecrops, and we are in business. I think R and I agreed on a place near the garden. It gets lots of sun, and there is plenty of space. Plus, that area is a complete pain in the you know what to mow, so maybe if we have a little orchard there, life will be easier.

The biggest problem may be with critters, but what else is new when you live in the wild frontiers of Vermont?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: