Monday, June 6, 2011

Scoring on Clapboards

I’ve been bemoaning the fact that clapboards are so expensive, but the truth is, I could save some money by buying unprimed boards. It’s just nice to have them ready to install, it saves time and effort, but you pay the price. I got primed hemlock over at Briton’s and it works out to about $1.10 a linear foot, which really adds up when you consider I bought 60 feet, it wasn’t enough. To do just the front door area would probably require about 180 feet, and that’s just a small section.

Anyway, I was at Home Depot to get some trim boards and more, you guessed it, clapboards, and they didn’t have what I wanted. I was looking for primed boards, and all they had were 16 foot boards. Now I’m constrained to getting boards in 6 foot lenghts because that’s all I can fit in the car, especially with the kids, whereby I have to somehow fit the wood between the two front seats and two children sitting in the back. It’s rather comical, actually, what we have to go through.

They did, however, have unprimed pine clapboards, and they were cheap. $0.30 a linear foot, and in 6 foot bundles. I was ready to buy the stuff up, just for the heck of it, but restrained my consumer ways and just got what I needed. I was stoked, though now I have to prime these things before putting them on, which adds a lot of time because they have to primed and then allowed to dry, and the weather has not been stellar drying weather, but what are you going to do? At $0.30 a foot, I’ll suffer a little.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: