Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tackling the Soffit

As per the advice of my Mentor, I went out and got the materials to install the soffit on the barn. One small step for real-man in training... of course, there were complications. I originally thought the wood I’d use would be pine boards, but my Mentor informed me that plywood would do the trick. This made it more economical, though I have to rip the boards, and I have issues cutting things in straight lines. I may have to break out the table saw.

He also informed me of something called strapping, which is basically cheap strips of wood used for various odd jobs that is standard for most lumber yards. I contacted Brittons, and they and what I needed (I was amazed how cheap strapping was). The only question was, how was I supposed to transport the stuff without the use of my Mentor’s vehicles? Simple, contact a friend. I don’t think I have a single male friend, at least one who is competent with a hammer and saw, in Vermont who doesn’t own a truck. The problem is, they are all working men, and don’t have time to waste hauling my junk.

I do have one good friend (GS) whom I could ask, partly because he’s one of my best friends, but also because in addition to being an extremely competent builder, he’s a lawyer in private practice, so he has some leeway in setting his hours. With proper notice, we might be able to arrange something.

Sure enough, he said he could help after he dropped his daughter off at school. We met at Brittons, loaded the stuff, and got it home. The thing is, now that I have the wood, I need to do something with it. Every moment of success seems to bring with it the need to do more. Why exactly is that?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: