Thursday, June 30, 2011

Roof Inspection

My Mentor’s eagle-eyes pointed out to me that the roof is not properly flashed, and upon closer inspection, it makes perfect sense. That guy is my hero. I thought it was fine, and all I had to do was put some trim on it and be done. However, that doesn’t address the water problem. Think like a drop of water. For most of the roof, it seems like it might be okay because the roof hangs over and the water will drip straight down, but sections will clearly let water in, and that’s bad news.

One approach would be to increase the length of the clapboards so they overlap the flashing, but that would be a bear of a job, not to mention incredibly expensive. What I’ll do is slide some flashing up along the pre-existing flashing, making sure I get it under the clapboards. Like everything I do, it sounds brilliantly simple, but will most definitely end up being harder than I anticipated.

Oh well, that’s why I have my Mentor to call in my time of dying. This should be interesting.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: