Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Spring may very well be in the air, but Winter is holding for on dear life, because there is still a fair amount of snow on the ground. For the record, we are probably well behind the curve when it comes to the white stuff. It seems that everywhere you go around here, the snow has melted, but we are nestled in the woods and it’s much cooler, so it simply won’t melt.

I’m not necessarily complaining, this makes the house cooler on those scorching days in summer, and I’ll take that any day. Besides, we can always encourage things along. I went out and shoveled snow off the wood pile, and the recent rains pretty much cleared it off, so we are ready to rock and roll. I also found that in the woods, there were several blocks that still needed to be split, so I can start the long process of splitting and stacking.

Once the woodpile is cut and moved, I can contact our man TB and order another truckload of wood. The roads are posted until mid-May, but it’s not a bad idea to let him know that you still exist and would like some wood at some point before next Winter.

And finally, there is the need to start cleaning up the yard and getting the grass ready for the annual assault on weeds, debris, and the dreaded voles. As the snow recedes, I can see that they’ve been doing their dirty work, I just hope it’s not too extensive like in previous years where they literally destroyed the lawn. In lieu of this, I could have sworn that I saw some tiny blades of grass pushing up from where I seeded. Wishful thinking, perhaps? It wouldn’t be the first time.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Milan Jurek for the pic.

No comments: