Monday, April 25, 2011

Hex Wrench

I learned something new about hex wrenches. It’s not something I put a lot of thought into, and it only comes from experience. What I’ve found is that it’s better to have the separate pieces versus having them together in one single unit. Of course, I learned this the hard way.

I need a 5/16 wrench to fix A’s bike, and I have an old set with the separate pieces but had lost track of that size. I went to Aubuchon to get just one hex wrench, and they didn’t have the size I wanted, so I was faced with having to get a set. I chose the single unit with all the sizes because I figured I could keep track of them better, and the guy told me that single units are not that cheap.

When I tried to fix her bike, however, it was too long, and I had to find an alternate solution. Single hex wrenches have a short side to them that is lost on the single unit, so I realized I would have been better off with just the 5/16 wrench, if they’d had it. I was bummed, but learned a lesson, which was not to buy tools at Aubuchon, but go where the big boys go.

I have to be philosophical about it all and realize that there is value to the lesson learned. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: