Monday, April 25, 2011

Cutting Wood and Next of Kindling

I broke out the chainsaw from hibernation and did some of my first wood cutting, and it sure felt good. We have about seven cords to cut, and then I need to order more for the pile. I’m beginning to realize that we use about 5-6 cords a year, which is a fair amount of wood. I buy a seven cord load, so there is not a lot left over in the end. Then again, I’m still calculating our consumption.

I’ve also started cutting some pine, with the intention of using it for kindling. Besides the actual hard wood for the fire, we go through tons of kindling. I generally use leftover pine scrap from whatever building project is going on, and there has been enough to get us through the Winter. Also, I raid the scrap box of the local lumber yard and take whatever they’re going to burn anyway, but it’s a bit of a scramble, and it entails asking the lumber guys to take their garbage. I guess they don’t care, but it’s a little awkward.

Either way, we’ve got tons of pine lying around the property, and it’s easy enough to cut it into blocks and split the pieces into kindling. I can grab it whenever I feel like it, and it seems like the real-man way to get kindling. Then again, kiln-dried pine isn’t fill with pine-boring beetle grubs.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: