Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ambitious Possibilities for the Driveway

I spoke with our friend MMB who lives nearby and is another example of a super capable Vermonter and home improvement guru, the kind that raises his family on a farm and is self-sufficient and can build a house in a few days with just a screwdriver and hammer. He mentioned that he had driveway issues as well and fixed it himself, with the help of a few tons of rock and a tractor.

This, of course, got me to thinking that maybe I can do some patchwork repair on our driveway myself. I don’t know what the extent of his project was, but from what I can gather, it cost one order of magnitude less than the prices I’ve been getting.

The limitations, of course, are getting the stones to our house, and then applying them to the driveway. He mentioned renting a tractor, but I’m wondering if I could do it with a wheelbarrow. I know a couple of possibilities for a tractor, but that’s a lot to ask of a neighbor. I’m not sure if I’m ready to go there.

The problem is, unlike most projects I begin, I can’t dawdle on this one like I do with every other project I take on. Once it’s started, I need to finish it ASAP, if not immediately, because we need to use our driveway.

Oh well, something to ponder. I will say this - if I were to take up this challenge, it sure would make for a great story on this blog.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: