Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fixing the Bed

We have an old platform bed that I bought back in the days when I first moved to NYC. It served it’s purpose for me, but for whatever reason, it has followed me all the way to Vermont. It’s not even that nice, and personally I think we should think about discarding it, but it’s not so easy. How do you get rid of a platform bed?

Either way, it is in the guest room and I was trying to move it and the sideboard split along the length of the wood. It made moving it impossible, and made me wonder if it was time to turn the thing into kindling. Then I had the idea of mending the split by screwing in metal reinforcing plates. It was easy enough, and now the wood is strong enough to lift.

The plates cost a few bucks, and it took about ten minutes to finish, with the help of my fearless helper, N. Now we not only have a bed that’s working fine, but I don’t have to deal with the hassles of trying to get rid of it... yet.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: