Friday, April 1, 2011

Getting Wood Serious

I may have just moved into the next phase of my woodworking prowess (not to mention my real man in training status) and got myself a router. Not quite sure what I’m supposed to do with it, but at least I’ve got one.

Actually, that’s not true. We have many shelving projects that are in the queue, and using a router vs. simply screwing the shelves in is the next step towards making what might be considered a finer piece of furniture. My Mentor would be proud. Then again, I’m not sure if I’m ready to transition from being a “framer” to a “cabinet maker.” I don’t know if I have the patience and stamina, but like the idea.

I also had an interesting experience at Home Depot, of all places. I’ve noticed that now and again, perhaps more frequently than in the past, I’ve had good customer service and advice at the place. Sure, you’re always going to get your clueless salesperson telling you the wrong advice, but lately I’ve received good information.

Case in point, this router. I was looking at all the routers and of course focused on the bargain brand (Ryobi, I love that brand) when the salesperson walked over and asked if I needed help. He struck up a conversation and I kind of scoffed at what he was saying before I realized he seemed to know what he was talking about. It turns out he had a professional wood working shop and had a lot of good advice about routers. He could have been pulling my leg, but he even said that the Ryobi was not a bad router for the money, and you could good deals on accessories.

In the end, we chatted for a bit (no pun intended), and he was very knowledgeable and helpful, not something you always expect at Home Depot, but again, that place is changing for the better.

Now, when I hear people downplaying the value of shopping at Home Depot, I have to beg to differ. I rather like that place.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: