Monday, April 4, 2011

How Many More To Go?

Well, I managed to paint one window, and I don’t think the job I did will instill my Mentor with any sense of awe. First off, I think I painted the top section of the window shut. We have what I think are double hung windows, which means that both top and bottom panes are moveable. We’ve literally never moved the top panes on most of them, so I’m not even sure if they do move. I tried moving some of them and they wouldn’t budge, though clearly the windows were not painted shut. The previous owners did a good job of making sure of that.

Enter me, who has neither the time or the patience to be careful as I need to be. Consequently, when I painted the top pane, I couldn’t really make sure the seams were clear once the paint dried. For the moving pain, it’s easy because all you have to do is continually open and close the window, which breaks the seam and frees the wood. I couldn’t do it with the top window, and you can tell.

It was, however, a learning experience. My Mentor gave me all sorts of advice about what sort of brush to use and how to use it properly, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to take the leap. I don’t, however, want to make a mess of the project, and even though I’m sloppy and disorganized, not to mention cheap, I want to do a good job. Like the house inspector said, show people that you love your house and are proud of it.

I will. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: