Friday, October 31, 2008

The State Is Out To Get Us

Sometimes it feels like the state is out to get us, though I have to confess that the sun always ends up peaking through the clouds, sort of. We just can't seem to get it right with the state's requirements for homeschooling. It seems like whatever I do, it's not enough, and I tear my hair out trying to figure out what they want. This process has been dragging on for quite some time, and a great deal of my frustration lies in the fact that some of this stuff is just a given, and the need for documentation seems a formality. For example, it goes without saying that kids will get some physical exercise, so why do I need to document it?

This is the sort of stuff that makes New Hampshire-ites smug with satisfaction, though their time will come. We've been going back and forth over the requirements for homeschooling and I have to keep revising our portfolio. In all fairness, the state is just trying to oversee the academic process, and it does force us to put some thought into it, which is why we're doing it in the first place, but it's frustrating when I just keep getting it wrong. Furthermore, I have no template, and dealing in generalities gets a person like me nowhere.

In the end, the office had to call me and tell me what a loser I am. That said, I give them credit for actually calling me and explaining what they want. They could have just as easily let the process drag on for as long as they pleased, which would have just frustrated me even more. And in the end, there is a reason that they have their hands in the process. And it's like Ruth says, we can whine all we want, but the state has it's expectations, and if we choose to play in their arena, we have to play by their rules. Fair enough.

The take home from all this is that it wasn't so bad, we're learning a lot (a point the state acknowledged) and it's all part of the process. Besides, it's like I said, it forces you to take the time to think about your kid's education, something most parents spend little, if any time doing. I'm grateful to Karen at the office for calling me, and I think we can get this right.

One less thing to deal with, and I'm glad for that.

Onto other state matters. Our application for the septic system got held up because it was missing one item-the water test. Luckily, we have a test from when we first moved in, so we'll submit that, but all this uncertainty makes me anxious. I don't know why, and maybe that's a good thing to examine. Why so much stress over the future, it really makes life crappy.

We've had to modify our homeschool approach in lieu of our enlightenment, but that's good, because it shakes up the system and makes you think. Also, the process of building this house is a huge learning experience in terms of how to apply for all the state permits.

So there's a bright side to all of it. We're learning. Sure, it ain't easy, but the hard lessons are the one's you never forget, and the best things in life don't come easy.

The excavator got back to us amazingly quickly for the project, and our original choice of Dave hasn't even said a peep, which of course makes me lean to the newer guys, Dan and John. Plus, they know Paul. All this money, it's crazy.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: