Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Here Comes the Rain

It's raining, and it's supposed to snow, if you can believe that. I got a call from Dave Sanderson and he said he's interested in doing the septic system, so I must give him a call. I also managed to rip out all the shingles below the front porch. Hell, that was the easy part. The plywood underneath was in surprisingly good condition considering how much moisture it gets exposed to, but I had an inkling to get underneath to put on the green shit. It wasn't that simple, however, because the nails that held in the shingles wouldn't come out, and they were holding the plywood on. I got a peak beneath one, and it looked good to me, so I left it at that and nailed the nails all the way in. This shouldn't be a problem until I need to get that plywood off, and then I'll just have to rip the damn thing off.

I put ice and water shield on the plywood, even though it didn't seem to need it, and next I'll put clapboards over it and paint them. The span is wide, more than twelve feet, so I'll have to do some tweaking to get it right. Could be a nightmare in the making.

I seem to keep getting trapped with the darn hammock. I want to give it a few days of dry weather to dry out, and then I forget about it and it rains, like today. Now I have to wait for the next dry day, but I'll get it out of there. The weather hasn't been horrid, however, and I figured it still has some days left this year.

The big job I have to do is clear out the garden and get those damn pumpkins up here. I'll do that today since I can't clapboard and the wood is done. I also had an idea that I believe will make my life easier. I'm going to mow the law in late fall, when it's covered with leaves, and then pour it over the garden. Then I'll get some manure and then till the soil. Sounds like a good plan.

Actually, I checked the compost bin today and the stuff definitely looks like soil. Go figure.

Gotta run, problems with Blogger. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: