Sunday, October 19, 2008

Local Scene

So how exactly does a guy go about pitching ideas to local papers about a column or article? The Valley News seems ripe for more content, but I don't know where to begin. I know, it has to begin with me, but again, I seem lost. Gotta step up and be a man.

I think now is great opp to write a travel blog. I don't expect to make huge amounts of money, but I'd love to just break in. Again, where to begin. I think the travel business for families is a great avenue, there's so much to know and do, and everyone loves the idea of travel. They don't necessarily do it, but they like the idea. Travel, after all, is not easy, but we feel it's an important part of our family life, not to mention homeschooling. It is interesting how many people we meet who never travel, and I understand that to some degree. These are the same people, however, who'll drop tens of thousands of dollars on a second or third car, or redo their kitchen and then complain they work too hard and never get out. They have to support their lifestyle, however.

I guess it boils down to a difference in values. We love our house and want it to show, but feel that buying and gathering stuff is not for us. We'd prefer to have life experiences and spend time together as a family, but I'm digressing big time.

It's been getting cold out here, and I'm once again glad that the wood has been relocated and stacked. Today is Nicholas' birthday so we might go ice skating, but all domestic duties will come a pause and we figure out fun things to do.

Speaking of local things, we did contradance two night ago, and it was fun. What a nice, local thing to do, very family oriented, and a great way to meet and connect with our neighbors. It is a dance, however, so you get into that awkward dancing with strangers thing, but it's very low key and there is no pressure to hook up with people, so you can manage to have fun.

The foliage is way past peak, and in the next week or so we'll be seeing a lot more brown. I'm not sure if I should start raking, but I've resolved two things - to wait until it's all down, or at least close, and to finish it before we leave in November. I need to clear the garden and turn the soil, but am not sure if I'll pull that off before we leave. There's a lot to do, and I'm still toying with the clapboards.

Gotta go and formulate my query letters. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: