Monday, August 2, 2010

Sneak Attack

I've come to the conclusion that gardening just isn't worth it, and you're better off buying a share at a CSA if you want fresh veggies. Between the weeds and the woodchucks, it's just too much time and effort for something for something that breaks your mental fortitude, and then some.

It seems that our woodchuck, or some creature, is back, and for the life of me I can't figure out how he's getting in. R thinks he's getting in through the holes in the fence, which is hard to imagine, but it makes perfect sense. There are no other signs of entry.

If that is the case, then the battle is lost. He can pretty much get in anywhere, so what's the point? I don't even like gardening.

The weeds are relentless, as well. No matter what you do, they take over, and I am in awe of people who have weedless gardens. It's pretty amazing.

So, we'll see what happens. We borrowed a humane trap from our good friends the H's, but are not too optimistic about our chances. I know it's a terrible pic, but I didn't feel like opening the gate and going into the garden, which is where the trap is located, to take the pic. Our garden is like Fort Knox and takes a few minutes just to enter. The things we go through for a few pieces of lettuce.

We also got a death trap from our friend WM, who used to be a professional trapper. He showed me how to set it up, and let me tell you, the thing is a little scary. As he warned me, whatever sort of creature puts its head through the trap will have its neck completely snapped. Yikes!

We're not sure how we feel about this, but it just may come down to killing the beast. We can't take much more of this. It's either him or us.

In the meantime, we'll keep ruminating on whether this whole gardening thing is worth the time and effort. At the present moment, I would say NOT!

Show me the way to the Kroger's produce section.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: