Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Sink and Being a Real Man

In a move that is sure win me the approval of my Mentor and JH, I actually dove and attempted to fix the sink, and it wasn't that bad. We've been having leak problems, not in the sense that there is a constant leak, which is bad, as I've learned because it can fry your pump, but more so that when the sink is turned on, somewhere water is leaking down into the cabinet. It's a drag because we use the sink so much and get mold and rot, and eventually carpenter ants.

My original plan was to hire a plumber or ask JH what he thought, but then decided, "What the heck, I'll give it a go." This was not an easy decision.

I went under and think I've located the problem. Whether or not I fixed it is another question. The leak may originate from two locations. The faucet has a gasket that was off a little, potentially allowing water to seep in during use. The seal is not great, I must confess, and may require replacing the unit, even though we just replaced it about a year and a half ago. I bought a decent unit, a Delta, but didn't go high end. So I was frugal, but not to a fault, which is my usual MO.

Anyway, it could stem from the entire sink, which is not very solid and tends to bend and give. Whatever be the case, the leak has been stemmed somewhat, though I'm still seeing a little water. Not sure where it's coming from, but I'll investigate. We are also having garbage disposal issues, and my need to replace it.

I also put some teflon tape on the connections, and voila, I was done. Regardless of whether or not I fixed the darn thing, I went for it and didn't let fear prevent me from acting like a real man. I love when that happens.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pic.

No comments: