Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Next Stage of the Deck and Fresh Cut Grass

I'm not a stickler for details and can live with a little chaos and disorder, but I have to admit, an unkempt yard is a bummer. However, the more I learn about lawns, the more I begin to realize how misguided the whole endeavor is. When you consider the cost, time, and amount of toxic chemicals that go into maintaining a perfectly manicured lawn, you really begin to realize how silly the whole thing is. I like the motto I hear from GS and a lot of people around here - if it's green and you can mow it, then let it be. I'm into that.

Having said that, I will confess that when the lawn is mowed, it sure does look nicer. It improves my state of mind, as well, because when the yard falls to heck, it brings me down. I get a little bummed, I don't deny it. I'm sure glad the lawnmower is fixed. It runs nicely, now, and I've vowed to go to greater lengths to keep it that way. That's the way a real man would do it.

We moved onto the next stage (at a snail's pace, mind you) of the deck by pulling off all that orange plastic stuff. When I look at the work that was done, and it was well done, it seems like they built the front deck when they built the house, and somehow it settled or something, which explains the terrible design. My Mentor came over and said it looked okay in terms of what we needed to do. We may have to remove that white layer underneath the orange plastic stuff, thought it seemed like it was drywall. Under that is the plywood in question. If we can simply build on top of what is there, fabulous. If we have to remove that white plaster layer, it's doable, but more work, and more room to screw things up.

Mentor said he'd come back in the afternoon and we could talk, but he never showed up. And then I had to go to karate. Oh well, until another day. In the meantime, what am I supposed to do with all those tiles? AND, we have to start thinking about what we're going to replace them with.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: