Friday, August 7, 2009

Clearing the Garden and Ready to Mow

I don't know if you've been following the news around these parts, but there is a blight occurring that is destroying tomato and potato plants. It's the same Late Blight that created the Irish Potato Famine, and we now have it in our backyard. What a shame, because the garden was growing so well. It started out as a blackening of the leaves, and as it spread, it became clear that something was wrong. Sure enough, our potatoes and tomatoes were hit, and a few of the tomatoes were showing signs of rot.

The solution? Take all the offending species out. So yesterday I went down there and pulled all the tomato plants and clipped off all the potato plants. R said the potatoes might be salvageable, but the plant portion needed to be removed or else the pathogen will sink into the ground. So sad. It makes you realize how difficult it can be for a farmer who is dependent the weather and then gets his with this stuff. AND, it's been an awfully wet, rainy winter, which is the root of a lot of this.

I'm also awaiting the return of our lawnmower. Not that I love to do it so much, but our lawn looks like crap, and the sight of it brings me down. Makes me feel inadequate and helpless. I know, I'm over-dramatizing things, but humor me. I'm a man.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: