Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Karate Moves On

We had a good class last night, albeit a small one, as usual. D is preparing for his big trip to Japan and Thailand, and we'll miss him. He adds so much to the class in terms of his expertise and his different perspective. Also, he's so dedicated and it's inspiring. Sensei showed up and was sorry for his absence, but we all understand, he's a busy man, and he volunteers his time for the cause. We would never complain, we're just glad to see him.

We talked about endurance, or lack thereof, and Sensei touted the value of jumping rope. Just a little bit every day is all it takes. I agree, and think it's an all around good exercise for getting your footwork together, not to mention your stamina. I think it should be part of theoretical workout to prepare for karate, so I'll get right on it. Right away... yeah, right.

It's on my mind, so I'll get there soon enough. We sparred for the first time in awhile last night, and I have to confess to having mixed feelings on it. On the one hand I love sparring because it gets me pumped and forces me to really think of karate in terms of real life. On the other hand, it gives me a bit of anxiety at the thought of getting my ass kicked. You just can't have it all.

I wish I had a punching bag, that would help out a lot, not to mention practice and conditioning. Things are falling into place, I'm confident of that. Like everything in life, I just have to do.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Edwin PP for the pic.

No comments: