Monday, August 3, 2009

Chainsaw Wisdom and One Thing Down

I've learned a few things about chainsaws and of course they made me a neurotic mess. First off, one person tells me I can hold onto the gas for two months, then another says no more than one month. I've actually read one month somewhere else, so I'll go with that. The problem is, I have a full two gallon can, but the gas is over two months old. I thought I'd just use it up anyway, but then felt like a fool because I don't want to mess around with my chainsaw. So my plan was as follows: rather than simply empty the saw and store it, I want to put fresh gas in and then run it. After a few runs, with fresh gas in the lines, then I'll run it dry and store it. How's that sound? That way, at least it seems like it's a bit cleaner and hopefully happier. The problem is that I had to get another gas can and put fresh gas in, then wait until September to discard hazardous waste.

Oh well, I did learn this - you can buy small aliquots of gas oil, ones that go with only one gallon of gas, so there's less waste. Good to know, I think that's the way to go for me.

On the home improvement front, I did manage to finish the shelf near the compactor. R liked it, and it was so easy to make. Best of all, the kids could help, so they get a sense of accomplishment out of it all. Of course, I screwed up and should have made three shelves instead of two, but I can fix it. The wood is cheap, and now that I know what to expect, it should be much easier... yeah, right.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: