Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ugh! So Much To Do and Practicing My Katas

Today is a good example of owning up to your responsibilities and not being a whiner about it, much in the spirit of living in New England. It snowed for days yesterday, and I'm talking feet... well, not quite, but nearly two feet, which when you get down to it, makes for "feet." Anyway, since it was coming down in buckets and we were out playing, of course I didn't get around to shoveling, because we were having too much fun playing in the snow.

Well, as the saying goes, you play, you gotta pay. Today we are slated to have a playdate with our buddies over on Webster Road, and it's an early morning gig, but I have to shovel and fill the wood box. AND, I've got to make something to bring over for lunch. The question is, when do I get to whine about it?

I'm going to have to get out before everyone wakes up and shovel astronomical amounts of snow, not to mention rake the roof, but that can wait until later. The main thing is to clear a path to the wood pile so I can get more wood, because it gets cold once the sun goes down.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that parenthood has given me the emotional and psychological fortitude to just deal with it, which is no small thing when you're training to be a real man.

Speaking of which, I've been practicing my bo katas and the biggest problem I face is not remembering them properly, though I do think practicing them wrong is better than nothing. It's so much to remember, and my mind goes blank when Master Hammond (Joe to everyone else) is glaring at me. I feel the strong desire to win his approval, but that's the Asian in me.

We'll see. Until the next time, my name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: