Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Moving Towards My Blue Belt

I have to confess, when I get to karate class and see that Grand Master Hammond is there, my heart sinks a little. I am intimidated as heck by the guy, he's a seventh or eighth degree black belt, or something crazy like that, but he's no nonsense, and it's stressful working with him because I want to perform at an adequate level. He's been teaching me bo-katas and it's high pressure, because not only are his expectations high (I'm honored he's focusing on me), but all the parents are just two feet away, watching. It's a little nutty, and more than anything I want to do well by him. The ball is in my court, I've got to practice.

It all boils down to the fact that I've got to man up and just do it. Easier said than done, but such is the life of a real man in training. I'm coming up on my blue belt test.

He keeps talking about tournaments and competitions, and I have a feeling that my time in hell is coming. Not sure what to make of it all, I'm not one for competition, especially where blood and pain are involved, but I'll just keep practicing and let the cards fall as they may. It's a good lesson, actually, in not only overcoming my fears (which are seemingly insurmountable) while alos learning to go with the flow and not try to control that which is uncontrollable. I can't control the future, but I can only do the best that I can do and try my hardest. Be in the moment, don't forecast too far into the future, because the stress will kill you, and you can't do anything about it, anyway.

My name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: