Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Real Man Training

My karate class has been cruising along at a steady pace, and I have to admit, I have a lot of respect and admiration for my sensei, Chip, who is the quintessential real man. Not only that, but he's a really decent guy, so outgoing, polite and courteous. It's impressive for a real man, and you don't always find it that way.

With the vacation and all, the class has slowed down and I was beginning to wonder if it was even going to happen, but when I showed up last week, sure enough, he was there. You have to admire Chip's level of dedication to the cause, because not only does he get paid nothing to teach, but he works very hard at it, a true sign of his love for his craft.

Anyway, I showed up last week and was the only one there, so I got a private lesson, which was pretty cool. I think belt testing is coming up, I just may be in line to get my blue belt, but the ball is in my court and I need to show the dedication and desire to get there. I think I can do it.

Class was a bit of a grind. Being one of two adults in the class, I think Chip expects more of us, and consequently drives us a little harder, even though class was fun and light-hearted since it was just Chip, Tracker, and I. But with only me to focus on, it was a workout, and when it came time to spar, we went at it for about ten minutes, which in sparring years is hours. I was sweating bullets and panting furiously, but several things came to light. First off, I'm out of shape. Secondly, I need to work on my breathing. Thirdly, it clarified something I've always known but not always practiced-in order to grow, you have to break out and take some chances.

This is so true with sparring. You can sit back and take a defensive stand, but with sparring, especially with an experience opponent, they will simply come after you. You can run, but you can't hid. The best defense is an offense, so you have to step and take some chances. Sure, you're going to catch a few bruises, but it's all part of the process, and with Chip, he knows what he's doing and isn't going to hurt you. Sort of.

It was a good spar, I was worked, but I felt like some techniques were clarified for me, and at the very least, I've changed up my routines and have some new things to throw out there. This helps when I spar with Peter, who can anticipate my moves, but will now have to contend with a new arsenal.

I love the idea of karate as a metaphor for life. Makes me feel like a real man, sort of.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: