Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Lessons Learned from Karate

I think a lot about what I do in karate, and a lot of what goes on in my head seems so relevant to what you encounter in life. Mainly the idea of discipline and focus, and the need to take some chances and mix things up in the process of growing as an individual.

Part of this process is placing yourself in situations that you don't necessarily want to be in. If anything, by the end of the day, the very idea of suiting up and going to class takes everything I've got. It was really hard making it to class in the beginning, and I wasn't the model of consistency, but now I've found I look forward to it, though when there's a layoff due to holidays or sickness, it's hard to get back into the fold. Either way, it reminds me of lifting weights, you get addicted to it.

In terms of learning, this really came to light when I spar. I've been sparring regularly with two people, Peter and Chip, and one thing I've found is that when you come to rely on the same old repertoire of strategies, people can read you like a book and you crash and burn. This is especially true with Peter, who is more on my level.

With Chip it's a situation of competing against someone who is way over my head, and needless to say, he's upped the ante in terms of sparring against me. It's no longer fun and games and love taps, I get the sense sometimes he is really trying to hurt me.

Whatever the case, I'm being challenged, thus creating the need to improvise and adapt. When you throw the same stuff at a guy like him, he just sits back and has fun with you, so I've had to be more thoughtful and assertive, and I've changed my game plan.

I've found this has paid off in a big way, and sparring has taken on a whole new meaning, not to mention being really satisfying and even fun, mainly because Chip shows me mercy.

Now all I have to do is apply these lessons to my writing. It's possible that nothing will come of it, but one thing I've learned is, when you maintain the status quo for an situation that is not to your liking, then all you guarantee is that you'll be unhappy.

Until the next time, my name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: