Friday, January 9, 2009

Snow and Karate Misconceptions

For all the talk about how much I love the snow, is it all right for me to say that I could use a break? We got dumped on yesterday, a bit blindsided actually because I didn't realize we were going to get so much, but it kept coming down all day. It made skating a bit challenging, but kids have fun no matter where they are, as long as there are other kids.

I didn't have time to rake and shovel as much as I would have liked, and now I have the formidable task of dealing with it, and it ain't gonna be easy. The roof is what kills me, you can't delay it even for a day, because icicles will form and then it's too late. What a bear.

Either way, as I was saying, I could use a break, and it's only early Jan, so it could be a long Winter. At least I'm getting a good workout out of it.

Yesterday I was speaking with Cal and he mentioned his friend, Eli, and Eli's dad, Peter, in passing. Eli and Peter are in my karate class, and Peter and I are regulars at sparring by virtue of the fact that we are the only adults in the class. I've been in the class for about six months longer than he, so we are very evenly matched.

Well, it came to light that people in the class think I'm a black belt in another discipline. In fact, as similar idea has come up before, even the Grand Master commented that it appeared that I'd trained in something else, but I can assure you, I've never taken martial arts before. I did some kickboxing in New York, but it was more of an aerobics class sort of thing. Otherwise, I'd always wanted to study martial arts my entire life, but never did. Until now.

It's nice that people might think I have some ability in karate, but I'm not sure what to make of it all. It's sort of funny, actually, but in a nice way. I guess I'm in the right place, doing the right thing.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: