Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Foiled and Building the Hard Way

This is difficult for even me to believe, but the barn project is now dead in the water. I can't believe it, but in the end, we have to respect everyone's wishes, and I have to confess to being somewhat relieved. Furthermore, the price of the project was just too high, and that message wasn't being conveyed properly on both sides. It's pointless to try to lay the blame on any one party, because on the one side people weren't being clear about what they wanted, and on the other, people just weren't getting it. It's too bad, but it brings me back to our guiding philosophy in life: doing things the hard way.

It was easy enough to sit back and let Bob fund everything and just be a spectator, but is that really how you want to get things done? We've decided that we're more determined than ever to finish the barn, and we're going to do it ourselves. This has been a huge learning experience for everyone involved, but mostly for us. It just doesn't pay to sit on the sidelines and be a passive observer, especially when something means so much to you.

So in the end, we're going to try to build it ourselves. Can you imagine a bigger case of boys doing a man's job? I'm excited at the prospect, and I have to confess, it is more of how I'd like to do it. It's just that I don't know a thing, though I've learned a great deal in just the short time that I've interacted with Paul. At the very least, it's taken some of the mystery out of it, and it's the mystery that frightens me the most.

We've bought ourselves more time, at the expense of Paul, of course. I feel terrible for him and Kurt because they were looking forward to doing this job, but again, it just came out to be too expensive. This complicates our lives, of course, because now we can't turn to Paul or Kurt for hiring because we've cut ties with them. It's a delicate situation and we have to be tactful in our ways, but it's not insurmountable.

The first order of business will be to move forward as we've been doing and get those well issues addressed, then look into getting the septic system installed. That has all been lined up, and it won't happen until the Spring, but at least we know what to do.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: