Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Giving Spirit

The recent holiday concert that Audrey sang in had free admission, and all they asked for was a donation of some food to feed the hungry. Initially I thought that since our daughter was singing in the show, we didn't need to bring anything. Then I got to thinking how counter that was to the spirit of the season, and for that matter, the fact that we take for granted how good we all have it and hunger and need are not things that occur only during the holidays.

With this in mind, I thought, bring some food, don't be such a dolt. I was prepared to bring in a can or two of beans, and then felt like I was being a bit of a Scrooge. After all, how cheap can a guy be? I ended up giving up our precious spaghetti sauce and pasta, but in the end, I feel a bit ashamed at being so self-absorbed in terms of food. We are not rich, not by a long shot, but we have a roof over our heads and food and heat. And we have each other, so we shouldn't complain.

And there are people where each day is a struggle, so why not help out whenever you can? Forget about the holiday spirit, these are issues that exist every single day. Besides, I've found when you give a little, you get a lot, though that shouldn't be the reason you do it.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: