Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Back in the Fold w/Karate

I finally made it to Karate class last night, and as luck would have it, class was canceled the week before, when I couldn't make it, so I didn't actually bail on class. It had been three weeks since I last attended, so I felt guilty, but in fact, I only missed one class because the last two weeks had been called off. Call it serendipity. And, I was the only person to show up, so Chip put me to the test and gave me a workout. It was fun, though he made me spar with him for about ten minutes, and I was panting and sweating bullets. A good workout, and it felt good to be back. I'll be preparing for my blue belt so I've got to practice. I find class is less stressful when Grand Master Hammond is not focusing all of his attention on me because I don't feel the pressure not to screw up.

I also spoke with Homestead Gary and I'm grateful to the guy for thinking about the barn. His latest thoughts were that even though foam insulation is extremely expensive, it will insulate the walls much better, will resist moisture better than fiberglass, and might even add some structural integrity to the walls. All good points, and worth looking into. I was concerned that in not tearing out the exterior panels and replacing them with plywood, we would run into the problem of drafty walls, but in reality, foam is a fantastic insulator.

So we shall see. Looking forward to a quiet, mellow new year in Vermont. We're supposed to get snow, and maybe a lot of it, so I may have to get on the roof once again.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: