Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Being a Local Snob

I admit it, I've become a local snob, though for a guy like me, that's being a poseur of the umpteenth degree. We went to the climbing gym yesterday and it was so crowded that we had to leave, and the reason it was so crowded was because it was full of people from out of town. I surmised this from two things-the cars in the lot were all out of state plates (Mass=Boston, Connecticut, and New York), and the people inside were all hip and clearly movers and shakers of the city set. In other words, city folks.

I shouldn't complain, they are visiting where we live because people like various aspects of where we live, but I will say this-they do come up here with a sense of entitlement, that age old attitude that money can buy anything, and the more you have, the better you are.

Either way, they had invaded for the holiday rush, and we were left out in the cold. No matter, we jumped in the car and headed to the rec center in Hartland and skated on the local rink. It was very cool, there were even a few of our friends out there, and Audrey and Nicholas had a blast.

Best of all, it was free. So good things came out of it. I guess I need to thank the vacationing crowd for that one.

In the meantime, Ruth has asked me to finish the shelves I built about seven months ago, but I've found that staining can be a chore. Plus, the cats will make this challenging, to say the least, but I'm just making excuses. What else is new?

I'd like to say some good things about Pro-Optical. Great deals on glasses if you're willing to bend a little on styles. I'm amazed how expensive glasses are, but they not only gave me a good deal, but their service was great. The guy who helped me was Dan and he gave first class service. Now I have new glasses.

We're supposed to get some snow on this New Year's Eve/day. We shall see. Until then, my name is Fred Lee, and thanks for reading.

No comments: