Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dark Clouds Hovering and No Karate

I have this big issue that keeps bugging me and I seem incapable of dealing with it. Consequently, it eats away at me and makes me depressed, even though it's a pretty simple thing. Of course, it involves that barn. I need to not only return the other test ($150.00!), but we really need to deal with testing the water. The state will only be patient for so long before they tell us to take a hike, and the longer we wait, the more it bugs me. Just do it, as the saying goes. So maybe today?

Either way, this barn is going to be a project, that's for sure, because we are on our own. Bob is finished with it, he's washed his hands of it all, and it's a bummer, that's for sure, because in reality we cannot afford to pull this off on our own. The cost is going to be enormous, and we struggle just to make ends meet, but somehow I have this crazy optimism about the whole thing. Sure, it won't happen overnight, and could take years, but mark my word, we will finish this project. We will make Bob proud. Hopefully they'll live in the darn thing, but you just never know with those guys.

We can't let that discourage us, have to move forward.

I was sick as a dog last week so I missed my beloved Karate, and I was looking forward to this week because I enjoy sparring with Chip and Peter, even though I get my butt kicked, it's good training fighting with someone who's so above your level. Either way, the class was canceled. I had a sense when I got there and the parking lot was empty. I had mixed feelings, because in the end, I wasn't feeling 100%. I am still not sure if I've completely kicked this bug, and I have no appetite. It made me wonder if I was ready to go a few rounds with my sensei.

One thing about class is that the Grand Sensei, Grand Master Hammond, has been paying particular attention to me and teaching me bo katas. I'm honored to be working with him but he intimidates the heck out of me, he's a no-nonsense guy that doesn't smile that much, especially in class, and he's fully capable of killing me with his pinkie, so it's a little scary. I take it VERY seriously and want nothing more than to live up to his expectations and make him proud, which only adds to the pressure. He's very patient.

I feel like I have a chance now to practice my stuff, rebuild some strength and stamina, and get ready for next class. Two things I really want to work on are my footwork for sparring and stretching. Actually, I also have to practice my katas and my one-step spars. I keep thinking that if I do a little bit every day, I'll be in good shape, but one week later, I still haven't done much. Go figure.

I am putting thought into the barn, though, and I need to finish Ruth's shelves, they've been languishing for months. Also, the darn deck still leaks, and I'm wondering if it's in need of a rebuild.

Like I got time for any of this? My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: