Sunday, November 30, 2008

Feeling More Prepared, Sort Of

One step at a time, as the saying goes. We finally got our snow tires, and it was actually an interesting chain of events that are very emblematic of life in a small town like this.

Before I get too crazy, I'd just like to say that DC, or should I say J, finally sent me the quote for the septic system. I think I'm leaning towards using him because he's been the most professional and his quote was not much different than the other. And, he's good friends with PD, which is a big consideration. And now we move one step closer to finishing our barn, though we've been going at a snail's pace.

I've been using the firewood that we got last Spring, some time around May, and it really doesn't seem to burn as well. Complete drag, because I thought that seven or eight months would be enough to dry the stuff. It is split in bigger chunks, but so far it has been hissing up a storm when I burn it. Not like the awesome dry stuff from last year. I'll really need to be better prepared come next season, but live and learn. I am curious to see how much wood we actually go through this Winter.

Another interesting development is that I've been seeing the price of wood dropping down to more normal levels. I wonder if the demand made the price skyrocket and people filled in the void and the supply consequently came back down to earth. It seems to me that between Vermont and New Hampshire, there are more than enough trees. I spoke with Homestead Gary's dad about firewood and he said he used to get his cords free but now pays about $40/cord. Can you believe that?

I finally told GL that we needed to clear his stuff out of the barn because we really want to move forward with this barn, and it pained me to have to tell him this because I don't know if he has a contingency plan. Then again, he's always got a contingency plan, and said he'd get back to me. I'm more than happy to help him, and I'd even take care of everything if he told me where to take them. I saw RJ the other day and he said he'd help, and I know I could rally people to come to my aid, so I'm not to worried about that. Also, I've got Balloon GL's truck, so we can transport the beasts. Finally, if we had to, we could just put those things on pallets and cover them with tarps until Spring. I'm fine with that, but of course, they're not my balloons.

Besides GL's balloons, I've got to remove all that other stuff, as well. PD mentioned we could simply place them on the second floor since the work to be done is on the first floor, so that's an option and probably something I need to take care of sooner rather than later. I should also let DC know that it's a go, and we've got to deal with that water test.

Darn!

I did finally get our snow tires, and I went with Interstate Tires. They do a brisk business. I got there a little after 8:00 and there was a two hour wait! They told me come back at 10:00. I saw SA there, I hadn't spoken to her in months, and here she was, arriving right before me. I gave her a ride back to work, and then picked her up for her car appointment. We went for a walk while they put the tires on, and it was really enjoyable just hanging out with her. I like her company, and talking to her is really nice.

The funny thing is, when we got back, AH's father was at Interstate, as well. Nice to see him. When we picked up our cars, I stopped by at Stern's and who was there? SA, once again. She joked that I was following her. I also saw NH, our neighbor, there with her daughter. What a small world it is.

Life in a small town, you can't beat it. At least if it's in Vermont. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: