Saturday, December 6, 2008

Snow Coming, Christmas Trees, and Planning the Barn

We are on the cusp of getting our tree, it's really on our radar. We have Gary's truck, so it would be a breeze, and the guy who sells them is a local, right here in Hartland, or close enough, and Audrey and Nicholas can't wait. I have to admit, I'm getting into the spirit of the season, as well. I've noticed that several of our neighbors have done a stand-up job decorating their houses, something I don't seem to recall having happened in the past.

I have been talking to Homestead Gary about the barn, and as I've mentioned, he's willing to help out by offering his expert advice, which I'm more than happy to take. I've been looking through a book I have about home improvement and it actually outlines the steps to make an exterior wall, and it turns out it's simpler than I thought. Not easy, especially for me, but I understand what's going on.

A plan, I need a plan, and in order to come up with a plan, we need to figure out what we want. The problem is, I don't know what the heck I want. I'm not good at planning or following directions, and it generally gets me into trouble. What I would benefit most from is having a practice barn to work on and through a process of trial and error learn the ropes. Unfortunately, I've got no such luck.

Ideally I'd like to just finish what's there. The problem I'm facing is that what's there might not be adequate enough, and I'd have to retrofit the current design with something to better insulate the building. If that requires me to pull the vertical beams off and put plywood or Tyvek/Typar underneath, that's fine, as long as I can reuse those boards. I don't want to toss all that wood. Not only is it wasteful, but the cost of replacing it bums me out. I need to consult with some people.

Homestead Gary mentioned having a framing person come out and check for adequacy, and that's fine. Again, I'm fine with ripping the boards off and putting up plywood. In fact, that's something I think I can do. Just have the wood delivered and nail it in (I know, I'm oversimplifying, so sue me). Then put up the wrap and then the siding. I'm under the impressiong that once the plywood (if I use that) is up, I can even use clapboards, because that's the extent of it.

Either way, who knows. Ruth has asked me to finish the bookcase that I've stalled on for months, so I don't have the reputation for reliability. At least not yet. First things first, as the saying goes. I'm hoping to meet with Gary this week and maybe get some advice, though I know his time is valuable.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: