Thursday, December 11, 2008

Magic of Small Town Life

Two nights ago I got a real sense of living in a small town with a tight community, and though it's in conflict with my quest to be a real man, it almost brought a tear to my eye. We went to the Christmas concert rehearsal at Damon Hall and the adult choir was there, as well. It was awesome seeing Audrey on stage doing her thing with the kids, who by the way were incredibly cute. They did a good job, and got their first taste of having a full audience. They performed like stars.

It was late, but Audrey and Nicholas wanted to stay and watch the adult choir, so we sat in the audience and watched them rehearse. They sounded beautiful, but what really touched me was that here was a group of adults with their own lives to lead, taking time out to take part in a community event on their own time, with no compensation other than the desire to sing for their community. It was obvious that they'd put some time in the production, you could see Richard Waddell's hard work, but it was just nice to see.

It made me realize how lucky we are to live in Hartland, what a nice community. Now I know there are choirs and community groups everywhere who donate their free time to the good of the whole, and it's the lifeblood of any neighborhood, it's just nice to see it in action in your own home town. And they did such a nice job of it.

Hartland rocks!

I missed karate last week because I was on by deathbed, and I'm bummed because I feel like I let Master Hammond down. He's been paying extra attention to me and I feel honored and scrutinized at the same time. I feel like I can't let him down, and have been practicing my katas to show him I can do it. It's not unlike trying to impress your dad. I think belt testing is on the horizon, and maybe even a competition, which mortifies me, but is part of my real man training.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: