Monday, December 22, 2008

Roughing it in New England

We got so much snow yesterday that I actually found myself doing the unthinkable-wishing for it to stop. The main reason I had had enough was because we were having car issues and for whatever reason Kurt never showed up all day to plow. I'm guessing that he was busy with life stuff, but we got probably upwards of 15 inches of snow throughout the day, and we could have used two plows, but it makes sense in a way that he waited until the end of the day. Even still, we got stuck.

The biggest issue we face is that our darn windshield wipers aren't working. It's a seemingly small thing but we can't drive without them. Plain and simple. We'll see how this one plays out, and if the weather permits, try to get it to a mechanic. We're hoping it's not a major problem.

The snow was amazing yesterday, and I tried to go skiing at Quechee but it was a complete whiteout and the wind was whipping the stuff into my face. I called it a day after about five runs because I couldn't see a thing. I hate trying to ski with zero visibility, and quit while I was ahead. It was nice, in the end, to get home and be with my family in a blizzard.

Also, all my friends at the ski hill have left or are leaving. Total bummer. I spoke with Jake and he said he's done with New England and he's off for North Carolina. I understand that it's a pain living in this area because it really puts you to the test, but we've found value in overcoming challenge. It really engages you in life and makes you appreciate the little things, but I'm not going to convince the skeptics in the audience of this.

I shoveled so much snow yesterday, and I'm going to have to go out today and finish the job. I broke out my ladder and looked at the roof, thinking I was going to rake the top of the house, but it's a little hairy and I'm not sure what to do about the snow. I'll have to consult Kurt about it and see what he thinks.

Today will be a mellow day, Christmas is just few days away and I still need to get some shopping done. It may have to wait until after Christmas, since Ruth will always understand. We've gotten a boatload of stuff for Audrey and Nicholas, so they'll have lots of fun.

My name is Fred Lee, and until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: