Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wood Options and Be Careful What You Wish For

I've been searching furiously for wood, and though I know I have some time, it's important to bear in mind that Spring is here and Summer will arrive before you know it, and you really need those hot summer days to dry the wood. That is, until I get my act together and have two years worth sitting around the property, I need to burn semi-dry, semi-green wood. I know, however, that one day the wood will be dry and crisp.

The problem I seem to run into is where to get the wood, the biggest problem by far being how to transport the stuff, you need a serious truck, and not the kind you can ask a friend to let you borrow. After all was said and done, I did find someone who would deliver tree length logs, but only if I buy 8 cords. I have no problem with that, except for the minor inconvenience that I don't have a chainsaw, but I can't let that stop me, can I?

So I told him that I was interested, and didn't hear back for a few days, so I started getting nervous that I waited too long and hadn't made the list. That's how my neurotic, Flatlander mind works. I didn't want to hound him and piss him off, but I also didn't want him to forget about me. Well, by the time had I worked myself into a frenzy, the guy called, and indeed I had made the list. We talked, he was very cool, and he said he'd deliver the wood in a couple of weeks.

What? Now I've never done this, and had to take a moment to consider if I was ready to buy 8 cords of wood, and where the heck I was going to put it. I can't use the old space because we are still planning on finishing the barn, and that's where the septic system is going to be-more on the barn later.

I finally decided the wildflower patch would work, because it's far enough away to not ruin our front yard, there's a road there (though it's covered with wildflowers, which we'll miss), and there's the issue of M's trees. She put her darn tree there, the one she planted for her daughter's birthday, and I think there's enough room, but really hope that in the process of unloading the wood, he doesn't level it. That would really suck.

So I think I've got my wood. I won't say for sure until it's sitting on our property, but at least I feel relieved that I don't have to keep searching for it. Of course I managed to find a way to still worry about it, because I want to maintain a connection with this guy, but I don't know if I'll buy 8 cords every year. In fact, I know I won't, but think I may have a way to work around it.

And then there's the issue of the chainsaw, but that can wait. At least until tomorrow. For now, let me relish my small victory, because they are few and far in-between.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: