Sunday, March 8, 2009

Looking Ahead to Home Improvement Projects

leaking
roof
clapboards
bookcases
gables on dormers
painting trim
painting clapboards

Wow, we have a whole slew of home improvement projects, and in a way I'm looking forward to warmer, drier weather so I can get them done, but on the other hand, I'm dreading it, for the simple fact that I don't know what I'm doing. Then again, I've never let that stop me before.

We have a leaky roof situation, something you dread as a homeowner. As much as you need water to live, for a house it can be your worst enemy. We're seeing a little water damage on the ceiling and assume the ice damns that built up over Winter have done their dirty work. A job like that will call for a call to Boland Custom Home Improvement, or BCHI, at least for a look.

I was checking out the gables on the shed dormers (I love when I talk the talk) and the side boards need replacing, as do all the clapboards along the bottom of the backside (the south side) of the house. So what I'll need to do once the weather dries out is rip out the clapboards, check the plywood to see if it's rotted (a high probability-total bummer), and then apply preservative and Vycor-I love that stuff. Hopefully, and this is a huge hopefully, I won't have to replace the plywood, because that's a bear of a job.

This Spring/Summer I'll also have to paint the South facing sides of the house, and all the trim along the roof and the windows. On top of all that, I'm going to attempt to cut and split 8 cords of wood, prep the garden, build assorted shelves, mow the lawn, be a good father to my kids and a loving husband to my wife, and finish a barn.

Piece of cake. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: