Monday, March 2, 2009

Grounded and Back in the Firewood Hunt

A question was posed to me by my wife that really forced me to take a step back and take a good look at my life-how could I justify going skiing as much as I do while there are so many projects that lay around the house unfinished?

My answer?

I can't... so I won't. Total bummer. We were planning on going skiing this Sunday, had it all planned out, and were ready to hit the slopes right after breakfast when my wife posed the fateful question. Part of her complaint was that it meant that she would be at home all by herself because after a hard week at work, she not only didn't feel like rushing out the door with all of our ski equipment, but that she wanted us to spend time together, as a family. Now how could I argue with that.

The ski season winds down to an end, and we missed out on a prime skiing weekend, but such is life. It's more important in the end to spend quality time together, and though skiing can be a family gig, it's not exactly warm fuzzy time playing games and being together. So we can take a break. Besides, I get a sense the kids were wanting a break, anyway. Boo-hoo!

Then again, it is snowing, so maybe it's a sign.

I am also being punished for my complacency and selfishness in the firewood department. I got a great deal last year on firewood, kind of fell in my lap, actually, and I, like the people I was disdainful of, guarded our secret source like gold. I figured this year would be easy, I'd just give a call, get our six cords, and be on our way, but it was not to be.

I put in an order for six cords, and our man got back to us, but the price had gone up considerably. So much so that I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Not six cords, at least. I was bummed, once again, and figured I was getting what I deserved for being so clandestine about it all. Just goes to show you, you can't go through life without dealing with it like a real man.

Now I'm once again in the firewood hunt, and life is no longer so simple. I do have some leads, however, and this could very well be the year that I get my chainsaw, because I may very well need it.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: