Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mud Season Approaches

The seasons, in typical Spring fashion, can't seem to make up their minds, and we're getting the typical temperature fluctuations of hot to cold. At times the change is pretty significant, going from the 40's to the single digits. What you get are the slick, icy conditions that make getting around a challenge, but I'm wondering if it's better this way, because what really makes life hard is the mud. At one point, our road was so bad that we were seriously worried about getting stuck before the cold weather set in. Now that ski season is over, I wouldn't be disappointed if the snow melted quickly and Spring arrived with flourish, because there are so many big projects to take on, and I can't begin them until it gets a little warmer and drier. Then again, there will be plenty of time for that.

Still waiting to hear about our firewood. I can't picture what 8 cords looks like in tree length wood, but yesterday at Cobb Hill, I spoke with Steve (really cool guy) and expert woodsman, and he showed me a pile that was about 12 cords. Based on that, I think the wood we ordered will fit in the designated space. My main concern is for Marty's tree, which when you think about it, is still a strange thing that she put it there. What's she thinking? In the end, we'll do our best, but I can't account for the actions of other people trying their best, meaning the person who will deliver the wood.

BTW, Steve used Stihl chainsaws and brought up the interesting point that a smaller bar actually cuts faster because the chain has a shorter distance to travel, which makes sense.

Looking forward to some warmer weather, but mostly drier weather. Haven't been doing much sugaring, though we see our neighbors out and about and should take the initiative. It's awkward inviting yourself over to someone else's gig, but they are so nice, I know they'd be happy to have us along.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: